Zabcikville

Zabcikville is located at the intersection of State Highway 53 and Farm Road 437, about thirteen miles east-southeast of Temple in eastern Bell County. Founded by Czechs in the late nineteenth century, this hamlet on Possum Creek was originally named Marekville after the Marek family who owned a store in the area. In the early 1900s members of the Zabcik family, also area residents, married into the Marek family. After the community store changed hands from the Mareks to the Zabciks, the sign of the town’s name—Marekville—posted on the store, was changed to Zabcikville. In 1940 Zabcikville had a population of sixty and three businesses. The community reached a high of eighty residents and four businesses in 1949 but declined during the second half of the twentieth century. Zabcikville had a population of thirty-eight in 1990 and 2000. At that time the community store building was still standing with the Zabcikville sign posted on it.

Continue Reading

Laurie E. Jasinski | © TSHA

Handbook of Texas Logo

Adapted from the official Handbook of Texas, a state encyclopedia developed by Texas State Historical Association (TSHA). It is an authoritative source of trusted historical records.

Belongs to

Zabcikville is part of or belongs to the following places:

Currently Exists

Yes

Place type

Zabcikville is classified as a Town

Location

Latitude: 31.04518180
Longitude: -97.16666240

Has Post Office

No

Is Incorporated

No

Population Count, 2009

76