Zybach

Product photo
Promotion: Nearby

Map of Hemphill County

Zybach, on a mail route from Briscoe in northern Wheeler County, was named for John B. Zybach, who brought his family of Swiss immigrants from Kansas to farm the area in 1909. He also opened a general store. In 1910 he established a post office and sought to attract other homesteaders. During its peak, from 1910 to 1920, the town had two grocery stores, a service station and garage, a cafe, a gristmill, a cotton gin, a blacksmith shop, two churches, and several residences. The population reached as high as 120. After the Panhandle and Santa Fe Railway built south of Zybach in 1929, the town experienced a rapid decline. Only ten residents were reported in 1930, and around 1931 the post office was closed. Although there were two houses and a repair shop in Zybach in 1976, the community as such has ceased to exist.

Continue Reading

H. Allen Anderson | © TSHA

Handbook of Texas Logo

Adapted from the official Handbook of Texas, a state encyclopedia developed by Texas State Historical Association (TSHA). It is an authoritative source of trusted historical records.

Belongs to

Zybach is part of or belongs to the following places:

Currently Exists

No

Place type

Zybach is classified as a Town

Location

Latitude: 35.61921290
Longitude: -100.19067700

Has Post Office

No

Is Incorporated

No