Antioch

Product photo
Promotion: Nearby Map of Lee County

Antioch is eleven miles east of Giddings on Farm Road 141 in southeastern Lee County. The community was settled during Reconstruction when the offer of inexpensive land brought Blacks from Washington, Burleson, and Fayette counties. Antioch quickly became the largest Black community in Lee County. Some of the settlers supplemented their income, which presumably came from farming, by working periodically at neighborhood plantations such as Black's Quarter. The post office, general store, and cotton gin at nearby Nunnsville served residents of Antioch. The Antioch Juneteenth celebration was held at the Mays Road Park with all-day festivities. In 1898 the Antioch school had 156 students. Church services were also held in the one-room schoolhouse until the congregation built the Antioch Missionary Baptist Church. In 1953 the Antioch school was consolidated with that of Post Oak. The Antioch Missionary Baptist Church continued to serve afterward as the center of the community.

Continue Reading

Nolan Thompson | © TSHA

Handbook of Texas Logo

Adapted from the official Handbook of Texas, a state encyclopedia developed by Texas State Historical Association (TSHA). It is an authoritative source of trusted historical records.

Belongs to

Antioch is part of or belongs to the following places:

Currently Exists

No

Place type

Antioch is classified as a Town

Location

Latitude: 30.27910170
Longitude: -96.77525540

Has Post Office

No

Is Incorporated

No