Baer

Product photo
Promotion: Nearby Map of Orange County

Doty is on the Kansas City Southern Railway in central Orange County ten miles northeast of Beaumont. The community was established in 1897 and was one of the earliest sidings on the Texarkana and Fort Smith Railway between Beaumont and the Sabine River. The site was first known as Baer. Its name was subsequently changed to Stanford, but confusion with another locale, Stamford, led to the adoption of the name Adrian by 1905. A final revision, to Doty, came shortly thereafter. A small sawmill operated by G. W. Pearson was established at Doty during the first decade of the 1900s. Although the mill plant was dismantled around 1916, the section house at Doty was not removed until 1935. One estimate set the population of Doty at twenty-five in 1949. By the mid-1970s little more than a railroad siding remained there.

Continue Reading

Robert Wooster | © TSHA

Handbook of Texas Logo

Adapted from the official Handbook of Texas, a state encyclopedia developed by Texas State Historical Association (TSHA). It is an authoritative source of trusted historical records.

Belongs to

Baer is part of or belongs to the following places:

Currently Exists

No

Place type

Baer is classified as a Town

Associated Names

  • (Doty)

Has Post Office

No

Is Incorporated

No