Agnes is on State Highway 199 eighteen miles north of Weatherford in north central Parker County. Settlement began there in the late 1870s, when B. B. Barnard opened a general store. The community petitioned for postal service in 1879 under the name Agnes, in honor of Agnes Mull, the daughter of a pioneer physician in North Texas. By the mid-1880s two churches, a public school, a blacksmith shop, and Barnard's General Store served the seventy-five residents. Area farmers brought their crops to Agnes to be processed at the cotton gin and gristmill. Cotton, corn, and oats were shipped on the Texas and Pacific Railway. Postal service was discontinued in 1907, though Agnes continued as a dispersed rural community throughout the twentieth century. Its population has never exceeded 100.
- ✅ Adoption Status:
- This place is available for adoption! Available for adoption!
Barnard's Store is part of or belongs to the following places:
Barnard's Store is classified as a Town
Has Post Office