Barton

Product photo
Promotion: Nearby

Map of Delta County

Lone Star, also known as Barton and Volney, was on the old Bonham and Jefferson road a mile east of Jot 'Em Down in western Delta County. The area was settled by 1878, when the Lone Star school was established. In 1886 a post office opened as Volney, with Ellen S. Billingsley as postmistress; service was discontinued in 1888. The railroad failed to pass through Lone Star, and the settlement declined as larger rail towns, such as nearby Pecan Gap, prospered. By 1936 Lone Star was no longer identified on maps, though at the site were a school, a church, and one business. The school was consolidated with the Pecan Gap system in 1949, and in 1964 only a few scattered farms remained in the area.

Continue Reading

Vista K. McCroskey | © TSHA

Handbook of Texas Logo

Adapted from the official Handbook of Texas, a state encyclopedia developed by Texas State Historical Association (TSHA). It is an authoritative source of trusted historical records.

Belongs to

Barton is part of or belongs to the following places:

Currently Exists

No

Place type

Barton is classified as a Town

Associated Names

  • (Lone Star)
  • (Volney)

Has Post Office

No

Is Incorporated

No