Barton Community

Product photo
Promotion: Nearby

Map of Lubbock County

Barton Community is located on Farm Road 1585 twelve miles south of Lubbock in southwestern Lubbock County. The settlement was named for an early landowner who donated the site for a school. By 1927 the Barton school was one of twenty-six school districts in the county. The two-room school building, in which grades one through seven were taught, served also as a community center and church. The school at Barton was combined with similar institutions at Slide, Woodrow, New Hope, and Union in the mid-1930s to constitute the Cooper Rural School District. Early residents of Barton included the Thompson, Morton, Mabry, Potts, and Robertson families. Leading citizens included George Hindman, a farmer and gin manager, and Mr. and Mrs. Russell Dennison, early schoolteachers. In the 1980s Barton Community was an unincorporated farming community; the Barton Gin and the Irish Acres Pecan Orchard were the only businesses.

Continue Reading

Charles G. Davis | © TSHA

Handbook of Texas Logo

Adapted from the official Handbook of Texas, a state encyclopedia developed by Texas State Historical Association (TSHA). It is an authoritative source of trusted historical records.

Belongs to

Barton Community is part of or belongs to the following places:

Currently Exists

No

Place type

Barton Community is classified as a Town

Associated Names

  • [Barton]

Location

Latitude: 33.47476300
Longitude: -101.95291200

Has Post Office

No

Is Incorporated

No