Bermuda

Product photo
Promotion: Nearby Map of Webb County

Nye was two miles north of Laredo in southwestern Webb County. It was named for Thomas C. Nye, who introduced the Bermuda onion culture into the area in 1898. In 1906 500 carloads of onions were shipped from Nye Spur on the International-Great Northern Railroad. A school began operating about 1900, and during the 1907–08 school year it had an enrollment of forty-two. The area has been gradually absorbed by neighboring Laredo, and in the early 1990s only a few older dwellings still marked the site of the former settlement.

Continue Reading

Christopher Long | © TSHA

Handbook of Texas Logo

Adapted from the official Handbook of Texas, a state encyclopedia developed by Texas State Historical Association (TSHA). It is an authoritative source of trusted historical records.

Belongs to

Bermuda is part of or belongs to the following places:

Currently Exists

No

Place type

Bermuda is classified as a Town

Associated Names

  • (Nye)

Has Post Office

No

Is Incorporated

No