Bond's Prairie

Freestone is at the junction of Farm roads 489 and 80, six miles south of Teague in southwestern Freestone County. The area was known as Bond`s Prairie in 1905, when the Trinity and Brazos Valley Railway was built through the area. That same year W. T. Hopson opened a general store there. Mrs. Allie Beene renamed the community Freestone in 1906, probably after the county. Also in 1906 a cotton gin was built, and a post office opened with Thomas T. Chester, a railway agent, as postmaster. The town also had a blacksmith shop. A school opened there in 1907. By 1914 Freestone had a population of 100, five businesses, and two churches. In 1918 an oil well was brought in near the town, and a townsite was laid out two years later. In 1936 Freestone comprised a school, two churches, and a population of 100. The Freestone school was consolidated with the Teague Independent School District in 1955, and by 1969 the community reported thirty residents and two businesses. Its post office was closed in 1976, and local mail was rerouted through Teague. Freestone's population was estimated at thirty-five from 1970 to 2000.

Continue Reading

Chris Cravens | © TSHA

Handbook of Texas Logo

Adapted from the official Handbook of Texas, a state encyclopedia developed by Texas State Historical Association (TSHA). It is an authoritative source of trusted historical records.

Belongs to

Bond's Prairie is part of or belongs to the following places:

Currently Exists


Place type

Bond's Prairie is classified as a Town

Associated Names

  • (Freestone)

Has Post Office


Is Incorporated