Brileytown

Product photo
Promotion: Nearby Map of Nacogdoches County

Brileytown, also known as Old Brileytown, was an early settlement just off U.S. Highway 59 fifteen miles northeast of Nacogdoches in northeastern Nacogdoches County. Sources suggest that the area was settled prior to the Civil War. At one time there were several stores at the site. By 1880, however, Brileytown was deserted. Subsequently, a public school began operating there before 1900; in 1904 it had an enrollment of twenty-five. The school later closed, and in the early 1990s only a church and a few scattered houses remained in the area.

Continue Reading

Christopher Long | © TSHA

Handbook of Texas Logo

Adapted from the official Handbook of Texas, a state encyclopedia developed by Texas State Historical Association (TSHA). It is an authoritative source of trusted historical records.

Belongs to

Brileytown is part of or belongs to the following places:

Currently Exists

No

Place type

Brileytown is classified as a Town

Associated Names

  • [Old-]
  • [Briley Town]

Location

Latitude: 31.79434140
Longitude: -94.53715160

Has Post Office

No

Is Incorporated

No