Callaghan

Callaghan (Callahan) was established in 1881 as a cattle shipping point on the International and Great Northern Railroad in Webb County. The settlement was named for Charles Callaghan of the Callaghan Ranch. A post office operated there under the name Callahan in 1880–81. The Callaghan Ranch was still operating in the 1980s, but by that time the community was gone.

Continue Reading

Karen Gratke | © TSHA

Handbook of Texas Logo

Adapted from the official Handbook of Texas, a state encyclopedia developed by Texas State Historical Association (TSHA). It is an authoritative source of trusted historical records.

Belongs to

Callaghan is part of or belongs to the following places:

Currently Exists

No

Place type

Callaghan is classified as a Town

Associated Names

  • [-Ranch]
  • [Callahan]
  • (Shea)

Location

Latitude: 27.87667610
Longitude: -99.40059160

Has Post Office

No

Is Incorporated

No