Camp Worth

Camp Worth was on Arenosa Creek and a country road, ten miles northwest of San Augustine in northwestern San Augustine County. It was founded as a timber camp of the Frost Lumber Industries and was named for the lumber mills manager, Worth Whited. A tram line was built to the site in the 1920s or 1930s, and in 1940 the community had a church, scattered dwellings, and a school. By the 1980s no buildings remained on the site, though it was still listed on state highway maps.

Continue Reading

Mark Odintz | © TSHA

Handbook of Texas Logo

Adapted from the official Handbook of Texas, a state encyclopedia developed by Texas State Historical Association (TSHA). It is an authoritative source of trusted historical records.

Belongs to

Camp Worth is part of or belongs to the following places:

Currently Exists

No

Place type

Camp Worth is classified as a Town

Location

Latitude: 31.61212410
Longitude: -94.29242310

Has Post Office

No

Is Incorporated

No