Carvajal Crossing, a natural rock-bottomed ford across Cibolo Creek in north central Karnes County, was the best-known ford along the old cart road that went from the Texas coast to San Antonio. Situated halfway between Goliad and San Antonio, the crossing was in close proximity to the old Fuerte del Santa Cruz and the ranch headquarters of Andrés Hernández, who may have had the first ranch in Texas. Old maps and journals designated the crossing at various times as Tawakoni Crossing, the Crossing of the Tehuacanas, or Cibolo Crossing. About 1830 José Luis Carvajal, scion of Canary Islanders from San Antonio, acquired the ranch property adjoining the crossing, and since that time the ford has been called the Carvajal Crossing.
- ✅ Adoption Status:
- This place is available for adoption! Available for adoption!
Carvajal Crossing is part of or belongs to the following places:
Carvajal Crossing is classified as a Town
Has Post Office