Cleveland

Cleveland was near Farm Road 895 between Kensing and Vasco in eastern Delta County. The Edgar School, one of the county's first, opened there in 1883. The school was named for a local family, but the popularity of President Grover Cleveland led residents to change the name of the community in his honor in 1885. By 1889 citizens had also established the Cleveland Baptist Church, which sent a messenger to Delta County Baptist Association meeting that year. The school had thirty-six White students and one teacher in 1905. In 1939 it was consolidated into the East Delta School District. By 1964 Cleveland no longer appeared on maps.

Continue Reading

Vista K. McCroskey | © TSHA

Handbook of Texas Logo

Adapted from the official Handbook of Texas, a state encyclopedia developed by Texas State Historical Association (TSHA). It is an authoritative source of trusted historical records.

Belongs to

Cleveland is part of or belongs to the following places:

Currently Exists

No

Place type

Cleveland is classified as a Town

Associated Names

  • (Edgar School)

Location

Latitude: 33.40704100
Longitude: -95.46152700

Has Post Office

No

Is Incorporated

No