Cliffside

Cliffside, five miles northwest of Amarillo in southern Potter County, became a station on the Fort Worth and Denver City Railway in 1888. No community developed until 1905, when a rural school was established. Mrs. Frances E. Boyles opened a post office in her husband's general store in 1908. William H. Bush dedicated the townsite on August 5, 1915. W. J. Williams, a surveyor, platted ten full blocks, consisting of three north-south and six east-west streets. Because of its proximity to Amarillo the Cliffside post office was discontinued in 1917, and mail was routed through Amarillo. By 1980 Cliffside only had a few small red buildings beside the railroad track. From the 1960s through 2000 the population estimates were recorded at 206.

Continue Reading

H. Allen Anderson | © TSHA

Handbook of Texas Logo

Adapted from the official Handbook of Texas, a state encyclopedia developed by Texas State Historical Association (TSHA). It is an authoritative source of trusted historical records.

Belongs to

Cliffside is part of or belongs to the following places:

Currently Exists

Yes

Place type

Cliffside is classified as a Town

Location

Latitude: 35.26505210
Longitude: -101.93268930

Has Post Office

No

Is Incorporated

No

Population Count, 2009

206