Dalton

Product photo
Promotion: Nearby

Map of Cass County

Dalton is a lumbering and farming community 3½ miles northwest of Marietta on State Highway 77 in northwestern Cass County. The community, formed in the period following the Civil War, received a post office in 1875 and reached its peak around 1884, when it had three saw and flour mills, six churches, at least two schools, and a population of 200. Its post office was closed in 1887, then operated from 1897 until 1905, when it closed permanently. By 1940 a church, cemetery, and school were at the site; by 1983 only the church and cemetery remained there. The community still existed in 1990. In 2000 the population was fifty.

Continue Reading

Cecil Harper, Jr. | © TSHA

Handbook of Texas Logo

Adapted from the official Handbook of Texas, a state encyclopedia developed by Texas State Historical Association (TSHA). It is an authoritative source of trusted historical records.

Belongs to

Dalton is part of or belongs to the following places:

Currently Exists

Yes

Place type

Dalton is classified as a Town

Location

Latitude: 33.20484520
Longitude: -94.59686960

Has Post Office

No

Is Incorporated

No

Population Count, 2009

50