Darden

Darden, off U.S. Highway 67 fifteen miles southwest of Boston in southwestern Bowie County, lies in the low hills of the Sulphur Fork of the Red River. The settlement was called Brownstone, for Randolph H. Brown, when it was established on the St. Louis Southwestern Railway of Texas in the late 1890s. A post office was granted to the community in 1911. The office was renamed Darden in 1917, then discontinued in 1927. In 1940 Darden had a store and a population of ten; mail was delivered from Bassett, two miles to the northeast. In 1984 only scattered houses remained in the area.

Continue Reading

Claudia Hazlewood | © TSHA

Handbook of Texas Logo

Adapted from the official Handbook of Texas, a state encyclopedia developed by Texas State Historical Association (TSHA). It is an authoritative source of trusted historical records.

Belongs to

Darden is part of or belongs to the following places:

Currently Exists

No

Place type

Darden is classified as a Town

Associated Names

  • (Brownstone)

Location

Latitude: 33.30012050
Longitude: -94.58103680

Has Post Office

No

Is Incorporated

No