Drury

Bear Creek was on Farm Road 1725 in southwestern San Jacinto County, fifty-seven miles north of Houston. The area was settled by 1870; included among its early inhabitants were Pete McShan, J. H. Ellis, Dee McIlvan, and William Moody. Many early residents came from Alabama and cleared farms from the dense underbrush and thick woods. A local post office, known as Drury, served residents from 1890 to 1909, when it was discontinued and mail sent to Maynard. Numerous gravel pits now mark the surrounding countryside.

Continue Reading

Robert Wooster | © TSHA

Handbook of Texas Logo

Adapted from the official Handbook of Texas, a state encyclopedia developed by Texas State Historical Association (TSHA). It is an authoritative source of trusted historical records.

Belongs to

Drury is part of or belongs to the following places:

Currently Exists

No

Place type

Drury is classified as a Town

Associated Names

  • (Bear Creek)
  • (Mill Creek)

Has Post Office

No

Is Incorporated

No