Ewing was on the Angelina and Neches River Railroad ten miles southeast of Lufkin in northeastern Angelina County. It was the site of a hardwood lumbermill, active from 1920 to 1944. S. W. Henderson and H. G. Bohlssen formed a corporation called the H. G. Bohlssen Manufacturing Company and built a mill at a site near the Angelina River. The corporation was capitalized at $200,000, and stock was divided among thirty-five stockholders. Bohlssen died in the early 1920s, and after his widow sold out to Henderson the company name was changed to Angelina Hardwood Company.
James A. Ewing, one of the stockholders, gave his name to the post office granted to the community in 1920. The old Ewing plantation belonging to his family had had the largest number of slaves in Angelina County at the time of the Civil War. The first postmaster was John Bohlssen. Mail service was transferred to Huntington in 1944. At its largest, Ewing had nearly 1,000 inhabitants, several stores and churches, and many houses. The largest number of businesses listed for Ewing by the Texas Almanac was eight during the 1930s. The mill produced 40,000 feet of hardwood a day and employed 250 men. Around 1944 it was closed because the available timber was exhausted. In 1945 Ewing had only one business and a population of fifty, and shortly after that it was abandoned. The Texas Highway Department lists it as an abandoned railroad station.
- ✅ Adoption Status:
- This place is available for adoption! Available for adoption!
Ewing is part of or belongs to the following places:
Ewing is classified as a Town
Has Post Office