Macie, also known as Fehlis, was a ranch community at the intersection of Farm roads 1572 and 693, eight miles southwest of Brackettville in southwestern Kinney County. The community was established in 1912 by J. T. Fehlis of Yorktown, Texas. A one-room schoolhouse was constructed there in 1913, and in 1915 a post office called Macie was granted. The Fehlis School was enlarged the same year and recorded seventeen students and two teachers. The school name was changed to Macie in 1918. An influenza epidemic in 1919 led to the deaths of ten students and many adults in the community. By 1925 many buildings, including residences and the Macie School, had been dismantled and sold. The Macie post office was discontinued in 1926, but the Macie School continued to operate on a nearby ranch until 1928. The abandoned Macie School and several scattered dwellings are evident on the 1946 county highway map. By 1978 the community had been abandoned.

Continue Reading

Ruben E. Ochoa | © TSHA

Handbook of Texas Logo

Adapted from the official Handbook of Texas, a state encyclopedia developed by Texas State Historical Association (TSHA). It is an authoritative source of trusted historical records.

Belongs to

Fehlis is part of or belongs to the following places:

Currently Exists


Place type

Fehlis is classified as a Town

Associated Names

  • (Macie)

Has Post Office


Is Incorporated