Finlay

Product photo
Promotion: Nearby Map of McCulloch County

Fife is on Elm Creek at the intersection of U.S. Highway 283 and Farm Road 765, eighteen miles north of Brady in northern McCulloch County. Robert Kay Finlay's mother named the site in 1882 in remembrance of her native Fifeshire, Scotland. A school was established at Fife in 1890 with Henry H. Smith as teacher. A post office opened in 1902. In 1914 Fife had two general stores, a cotton gin, and 200 residents. By the late 1940s the population had fallen to fifty, and the school had been consolidated with the Lohn district. The population was thirty-two in 1990 and again in 2000.

Continue Reading

Vivian Elizabeth Smyrl | © TSHA

Handbook of Texas Logo

Adapted from the official Handbook of Texas, a state encyclopedia developed by Texas State Historical Association (TSHA). It is an authoritative source of trusted historical records.

Belongs to

Finlay is part of or belongs to the following places:

Currently Exists

No

Place type

Finlay is classified as a Town

Associated Names

  • (Fife)

Has Post Office

No

Is Incorporated

No