Flowery Mountain

Product photo
Promotion: Nearby Map of Nacogdoches County

The Flowery Mountain community was on the elevated expanse of land in northwestern Nacogdoches County known as Flowery Mountain. On January 13, 1835, this land was granted to Henry Brewer, who with his wife and their six children traveled from Mississippi to settle in Texas. Rev. Washington Wiggins Albritton moved to Texas in 1869 and was one of the first preachers at the Redland Baptist Church on Flowery Mountain. The mountain was first called Brewer's Mountain, but Albritton renamed it for the wildflowers-including wild plum, dogwood, redbud, black and red haw, granddaddy greybeard, and others-that grew around his church, The church also doubled as a school, which in 1897 had thirty-six students. The school was closed around 1898–99. In 1862 Rufus McClain and Andrew Hayter developed an iron foundry to process iron ore from Flowery Mountain, but the business was abandoned with the outbreak of the Civil War. The population at Flowery Mountain peaked about 1936. After World War II its inhabitants began to move to the cities for jobs.

Continue Reading

Marthea Turnage | © TSHA

Handbook of Texas Logo

Adapted from the official Handbook of Texas, a state encyclopedia developed by Texas State Historical Association (TSHA). It is an authoritative source of trusted historical records.

Belongs to

Flowery Mountain is part of or belongs to the following places:

Currently Exists

No

Place type

Flowery Mountain is classified as a Town

Location

Latitude: 31.76100880
Longitude: -94.80910260

Has Post Office

No

Is Incorporated

No