Fowler's Gin

Product photo
Promotion: Nearby

Map of Bell County

Althea was on Farm Road 487 in the southeastern corner of Bell County. The town was headquarters for farm and ranch operations of the Thompson F. Fowler family; the Fowler General Store and gin operated there. Althea had a store, a gin, a blacksmith shop, and a school in the early twentieth century and a post office between 1900 and 1904. It comprised one business and a population of forty in 1933, and its school, which had been part of the Williamson County School District, was consolidated with the Bartlett district in 1948. In 1964 the population had fallen to ten, and the community was no longer shown on government topographical maps.

Continue Reading

Mark Odintz | © TSHA

Handbook of Texas Logo

Adapted from the official Handbook of Texas, a state encyclopedia developed by Texas State Historical Association (TSHA). It is an authoritative source of trusted historical records.

Belongs to

Fowler's Gin is part of or belongs to the following places:

Currently Exists

No

Place type

Fowler's Gin is classified as a Town

Associated Names

  • (Althea)

Has Post Office

No

Is Incorporated

No