Freiheit

Freiheit, northeast of New Braunfels in eastern Comal County, originated in 1891 as the San Geronimo School community. The school, named for a nearby creek, was on land donated by Henry A. Rose and served the blacklands farming area 3½ miles northeast of New Braunfels. In 1906 a store opened near the school at the intersection of Eberling Lane and Prairie Lea Road. In 1910 Alonzo Nolte, owner of the store, organized the Freiheit Bowling Club, which lent its name to the crossroads community. In the reorganization of Comal County schools after World War II, the San Geronimo School was consolidated with the Goodwin Rural High School. The crossroads on Farm Road 1101 leading to New Braunfels Municipal Airport was still known as Freiheit (German for "freedom") in 1985.

Continue Reading

Daniel P. Greene | © TSHA

Handbook of Texas Logo

Adapted from the official Handbook of Texas, a state encyclopedia developed by Texas State Historical Association (TSHA). It is an authoritative source of trusted historical records.

Belongs to

Freiheit is part of or belongs to the following places:

Currently Exists

No

Place type

Freiheit is classified as a Town

Location

Latitude: 29.71716870
Longitude: -98.06889620

Has Post Office

No

Is Incorporated

No