Germania

Product photo
Promotion: Nearby Map of Lee County

Germania, on Farm Road 1624 three miles west of Lexington in northwestern Lee County, was established by German immigrants in the 1880s. The community's name derives from the Latin word for Germany. A school opened there before 1900 and at its height around 1910 enrolled thirty students. The first Lutheran church in the area was organized in the school, and services were held there until 1891, when the Trinity Lutheran Church was established in Lexington. In the mid-1930s Germania had the old church building and cemetery and a few scattered dwellings. By 1982 only the cemetery marked the townsite.

Continue Reading

Christopher Long | © TSHA

Handbook of Texas Logo

Adapted from the official Handbook of Texas, a state encyclopedia developed by Texas State Historical Association (TSHA). It is an authoritative source of trusted historical records.

Belongs to

Germania is part of or belongs to the following places:

Currently Exists

No

Place type

Germania is classified as a Town

Location

Latitude: 30.39465340
Longitude: -97.04581930

Has Post Office

No

Is Incorporated

No