Gewhitt

Gewhitt, five miles south of Stinnett in southwestern Hutchinson County, was named for George Whittenburg, son of James A. Whittenburg, who managed the family's ranch properties. A Gewhitt grade school was in operation for several years. On May 26, 1927, after the opening of the Panhandle oilfield, a post office was established in the town's general store. It remained in operation until 1942, after which mail was sent to Stinnett. Throughout the 1940s Gewhitt had a population of sixty but declined afterward.

Continue Reading

H. Allen Anderson | © TSHA

Handbook of Texas Logo

Adapted from the official Handbook of Texas, a state encyclopedia developed by Texas State Historical Association (TSHA). It is an authoritative source of trusted historical records.

Belongs to

Gewhitt is part of or belongs to the following places:

Currently Exists

No

Place type

Gewhitt is classified as a Town

Location

Latitude: 35.77118800
Longitude: -101.48126200

Has Post Office

No

Is Incorporated

No