Gindale

Gindale, near Farm Road 437 some sixteen miles east of Belton in southeastern Bell County, had a post office from 1893 to 1905. In 1896 Gindale had sixty residents and a Methodist church, a district school, a flour mill and gin, and a general store. The Gindale school, with 136 pupils and two teachers, was the fourth largest rural school in the county in 1903. By 1933 the community's population had reached a peak of ninety-seven, but it declined to some thirty residents by 1946. Although the Texas Almanac estimated Gindale's population at ten in 1964, the community was not shown on a topographical map of the area dated the same year. It is likely that in the 1960s the focus of community life shifted to nearby Leedale.

Continue Reading

Mark Odintz | © TSHA

Handbook of Texas Logo

Adapted from the official Handbook of Texas, a state encyclopedia developed by Texas State Historical Association (TSHA). It is an authoritative source of trusted historical records.

Belongs to

Gindale is part of or belongs to the following places:

Currently Exists

No

Place type

Gindale is classified as a Town

Associated Names

  • [Grindale]

Has Post Office

No

Is Incorporated

No