Gloyna

Gloyna (Gloyna School) is on State Highway 21 2½ miles northeast of Lincoln in central Lee County. The first settlers in the area arrived just after the Civil War, and the community was named for early resident Christian Gloyna. The settlement's only business was a cotton gin, operated by William Hannes sometime around 1900. Fedor Soder, who lived in nearby Fedor, donated land for a school and cemetery for Gloyna. For a time community church services were held in the school. In the mid-1930s Gloyna had the school, a cemetery, and a few scattered dwellings. Its school district had been consolidated into several other school districts by the early 1950s. In the 1980s Gloyna was a dispersed rural community, and only the cemetery marked its site.

Continue Reading

Christopher Long | © TSHA

Handbook of Texas Logo

Adapted from the official Handbook of Texas, a state encyclopedia developed by Texas State Historical Association (TSHA). It is an authoritative source of trusted historical records.

Belongs to

Gloyna is part of or belongs to the following places:

Currently Exists

No

Place type

Gloyna is classified as a Town

Location

Latitude: 30.31604500
Longitude: -96.93942690

Has Post Office

No

Is Incorporated

No