Godley, Johnson County, Texas
Godley is on State Highway 171, Farm roads 2331 and 917, and the tracks of the Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe Railroad nine miles northwest of Cleburne in northwestern Johnson County. It was established in 1886 and named for R. B. Godley, a Cleburne lumber merchant who donated an eight-acre tract for a townsite and twenty acres of land as a right-of-way to the Gulf, Colorado and Santa Fe Railway. A station was constructed in 1886. By 1888, when the post office opened, Godley had a gristmill, three cotton gins, and two dairy-processing plants. Four years later it had two general stores. By the mid-1920s the population was 613. In 1930 it was 378, and twenty-two rated businesses operated locally. In the 1940s the town had a population of 317 and twenty businesses. By 1956 it had a population of 424 and sixteen businesses, and by 1990 it had 569 people and twelve businesses. In 2000 the population was 879.
- ✅ Adoption Status:
- This place is available for adoption! Available for adoption!
Godley is part of or belongs to the following places:
Godley is classified as a Town
Has Post Office
Godley by the Numbers
This is some placeholder text that we should either remove or replace with a brief summary about this particular metric. For example, "We update population counts once per year..."
|1,450||2020||United States Census Bureau|
|1,290||2019||Texas Demographic Center|
|1,009||2010||United States Census Bureau|
|879||2000||United States Census Bureau|
|569||1990||United States Census Bureau|