Guerra, on Ranch Road 649 forty-five miles south of Hebbronville in southwestern Jim Hogg County, had no permanent settlement until the late 1800s, when landowner A. Guerra established the community. Early Mexican settlers called the town El Colorado, because of the red cattle found in the area. The Guerra post office, which was still in service in 1990, was founded in 1906, with Don Apolonio Gomez as postmaster. It was reportedly moved to the community from the ranch San Antonio Viejo. In 1914 Guerra had a population of 100 and sixteen businesses, including a general store, a blacksmith, a railroad agent, and a number of livestock establishments. The community reported a population of fifty from 1920 to the mid-1960s and seventy-five in 1968. In 1990 Guerra reported a population of fifteen and served as a retail point for nearby cattle ranchers.
Guerra is part of or belongs to the following places:
Guerra is classified as a Town
Has Post Office
Population Count, 2021 View more »