Harmony

Harmony, on State Highway 7 eight miles southwest of Nacogdoches in southwestern Nacogdoches County, was established before 1900. By 1904 it had two schools, one with seventy-two Black students and one with fifty-seven White. A post office operated in the community's general store from 1911 to 1919. In the mid-1930s Harmony had the two schools, as well as two stores and a number of houses. After World War II many of its residents moved away, but as late as the mid-1960s the site still had a store, a church, and a number of scattered houses. The 1983 county highway map showed a business at Harmony, with a church and cemetery nearby.

Continue Reading

Christopher Long | © TSHA

Handbook of Texas Logo

Adapted from the official Handbook of Texas, a state encyclopedia developed by Texas State Historical Association (TSHA). It is an authoritative source of trusted historical records.

Belongs to

Harmony is part of or belongs to the following places:

Currently Exists

Yes

Place type

Harmony is classified as a Town

Location

Latitude: 31.52906920
Longitude: -94.76993300

Has Post Office

No

Is Incorporated

No

Population Count, 2009

50