Hickory Grove

Hickory Grove, on State Highway 154 and a dirt road three miles east of Cooper in central Delta County, is bordered on the west by a branch of Big Creek and on the east by Boyd Branch. The area was settled by 1875 when the Hickory Grove school opened; early teachers included J. N. Cornwall and "Dad Shannon." By 1931 local residents had established the Hickory Grove Baptist Church and sent a delegate to a meeting of the Delta County Baptist Association. The 1936 county highway map identified the settlement as a school and a cluster of dwellings. In 1949 the Hickory Grove school was consolidated with the Cooper school system. The church at Hickory Grove later closed, and a 1964 map showed only the Hickory Grove cemetery at the site. The community appeared on the 1984 county highway map.

Continue Reading

Vista K. McCroskey | © TSHA

Handbook of Texas Logo

Adapted from the official Handbook of Texas, a state encyclopedia developed by Texas State Historical Association (TSHA). It is an authoritative source of trusted historical records.

Belongs to

Hickory Grove is part of or belongs to the following places:

Currently Exists

No

Place type

Hickory Grove is classified as a Town

Location

Latitude: 33.37038750
Longitude: -95.62773510

Has Post Office

No

Is Incorporated

No