Horger

Product photo
Promotion: Nearby

Map of Jasper County

Beans Place, also known as Beans, Cross, and Horger, is on the west bank of the Angelina River just west of State Highway 63 and twelve miles northwest of Jasper in northwestern Jasper County. It was settled by 1904, when Ira S. Bean built a store and established a post office called Horger, named for John Miller Horger, president of the W. H. Ford Male and Female College at Newton. In 1914 the area had a population of twenty. Because of the name's similarity to the names of the other Texas towns of Spurger and Borger, the United States Post Office Department in 1925 opened a new post office named Bean's Place, and the Horger office closed in 1929. The community's population was recorded as twenty-five from 1934 to 1944. The 1936 county highway map showed scattered dwellings and a campsite on State Highway 63, and in 1948 the community was on a rural mail route. The town was still shown on county maps in the 1980s as Beans Community, but by that time no population figures were available.

Continue Reading

Diana J. Kleiner | © TSHA

Handbook of Texas Logo

Adapted from the official Handbook of Texas, a state encyclopedia developed by Texas State Historical Association (TSHA). It is an authoritative source of trusted historical records.

Belongs to

Horger is part of or belongs to the following places:

Currently Exists

No

Place type

Horger is classified as a Town

Associated Names

  • (Beans)

Has Post Office

No

Is Incorporated

No