Horton Town

Product photo
Promotion: Nearby Map of Comal County

Neighborsville (Neighborville) was a Comal County community across the Guadalupe River from New Braunfels. It was practically the same town as Horton Town, which was settled in 1847 when Leopold Iwonsky sold fifty-acre tracts from the Albert C. Horton survey. Horton Town had a population of ninety-seven in 1850. In 1853 Jacob De Cordova laid out a townsite called Neighborsville on the Esnaurizar league next to the Horton league. He gave a lot for St. Martin's Evangelical Lutheran Church, which had been organized in Horton Town in 1850. Community stores sprang up, and a gristmill was operated by steam power. A stagecoach roadhouse served the three stagecoach lines, which operated on the Old San Antonio Road, the main street of Neighborsville. By the late 1940s the New Braunfels Textile Mills were located in Neighborsville, but by that time the community had disappeared from maps of the county; most of it had been absorbed into the city limits of New Braunfels.

Continue Reading

Oscar Haas | © TSHA

Handbook of Texas Logo

Adapted from the official Handbook of Texas, a state encyclopedia developed by Texas State Historical Association (TSHA). It is an authoritative source of trusted historical records.

Belongs to

Horton Town is part of or belongs to the following places:

Currently Exists

No

Place type

Horton Town is classified as a Town

Associated Names

  • (Neighborsville)

Has Post Office

No

Is Incorporated

No