Key

Product photo
Promotion: Nearby

Map of Dawson County

Key is at the junction of U.S. Highway 180 and Farm Road 178, twelve miles east of Lamesa in east central Dawson County. It had a population of ten and three businesses in 1930. The Key Baptist Church was consolidated with the Pioneer Bethany and Mount Olive churches in 1914. After a church fire in 1923 part of the church community moved three miles south to build the Midway Baptist Church, while the remaining congregation built a new church at Key, which was expanded in 1948. In 1947 Key had a school, a church, five businesses, and seventy-five people. The population was seventy-five in 1950 and forty in 1980. In 1990 it was reported as twenty. The population remained the same in 2000.

Continue Reading

William R. Hunt | © TSHA

Handbook of Texas Logo

Adapted from the official Handbook of Texas, a state encyclopedia developed by Texas State Historical Association (TSHA). It is an authoritative source of trusted historical records.

Belongs to

Key is part of or belongs to the following places:

Currently Exists

Yes

Place type

Key is classified as a Town

Location

Latitude: 32.72815900
Longitude: -101.79959060

Has Post Office

No

Is Incorporated

No

Population Count, 2014

10