King

King is on Farm Road 1783 and Cowhouse Creek twelve miles southwest of Gatesville in west central Coryell County. It was once known as Stringtown because settlers built their homes in a line along the creek. The Stringtown Baptist Church was established in 1875. When the community applied for a post office in 1882, the postal service rejected the name Stringtown. Residents then submitted the name King, in honor of Henry King, a local storeowner. John W. Seay was the first postmaster. By the mid-1880s King had a steam gristmill and cotton gin, three churches, a district school, and a population of eighty; area farmers shipped cotton, corn, and oats. The town reached its peak in the 1890s, when it had 100 residents. The population remained fairly stable until the early 1940s, when it fell to twenty-five. The post office at King was discontinued in September 1953, and mail for the community was sent to Gatesville. In the 1980s a business, a church, and a cemetery marked the community on county highway maps, and the population was reported as twenty-five; residents still numbered twenty-five in 1990 and 2000.

Continue Reading

Vivian Elizabeth Smyrl | © TSHA

Handbook of Texas Logo

Adapted from the official Handbook of Texas, a state encyclopedia developed by Texas State Historical Association (TSHA). It is an authoritative source of trusted historical records.

Belongs to

King is part of or belongs to the following places:

Currently Exists

Yes

Place type

King is classified as a Town

Associated Names

  • (New Hope)
  • (Stringtown)

Location

Latitude: 31.37960920
Longitude: -97.91474840

Has Post Office

No

Is Incorporated

No

Population Count, 2009

30