Lane Community

Lane Community, fourteen miles northeast of Canton on State Highway 19 in north central Van Zandt County, was named for early resident Jim Lane, who donated land for a local school that he helped to build by the 1890s. The school, which served as the community center, reached an enrollment of twenty-four in 1906 but burned by 1912. It was moved and consolidated with the Edgewood Independent School District in 1943. The town had no church until the 1930s, when a revival held near the schoolhouse led to the formation of a Church of God. Later, the Methodist church from Small moved to Lane. In 1936 a church, school, and multiple dwellings marked the townsite, but by 1965 only the church remained.

Continue Reading

Diana J. Kleiner | © TSHA

Handbook of Texas Logo

Adapted from the official Handbook of Texas, a state encyclopedia developed by Texas State Historical Association (TSHA). It is an authoritative source of trusted historical records.

Belongs to

Lane Community is part of or belongs to the following places:

Currently Exists

No

Place type

Lane Community is classified as a Town

Location

Latitude: 32.75077100
Longitude: -95.80808900

Has Post Office

No

Is Incorporated

No