Lazare, a ranching and farming community on Ranch Road 104 twelve miles west of Quanah, is partly in Cottle County and mostly in Hardeman County. It was established in 1909 by the Quanah, Acme and Pacific when the railroad was extended from Acme to Paducah. The community was named for Lazare Baker, the grandson of Sam Lazarus, president of the railroad. The town received a post office in 1909, with William A. Dorsey as first postmaster. A school was built at Lazare in 1910. In 1914 the community reported a population of 100. At one time Lazare had a depot, cotton gin, barbershop, telephone exchange, hardware store, cafe, drugstore, and lumberyard. It also had Methodist and Church of Christ congregations. The town was served by a newspaper, the Lazare Herald. The Texas Almanac reported a population of twenty-six at Lazare from the mid-1930s through the early 1990s. County maps from the 1980s showed Lazare with one business.
- ✅ Adoption Status:
- This place is available for adoption! Available for adoption!
Lazare is part of or belongs to the following places:
Lazare is classified as a Town
Has Post Office