Libby

Libby, on Farm Road 1878 fourteen miles northeast of Nacogdoches in northeastern Nacogdoches County, was first settled around the time of the Civil War. During the 1880s the settlement was known as Freeman's Store, after Malcom Smith Freeman, who operated a general store there. When a post office was established in 1892, the town name was changed to Libby. In 1896 the community had a Christian church, a flour mill and cotton gin, a store, and a few houses. Its post office closed in 1906. A school was in operation there in 1908, when it had an enrollment of fifty-two. After World War II the school and store closed, and many of the residents moved out of the area. In the early 1990s only a church, a cemetery, and a few houses remained.

Continue Reading

Christopher Long | © TSHA

Handbook of Texas Logo

Adapted from the official Handbook of Texas, a state encyclopedia developed by Texas State Historical Association (TSHA). It is an authoritative source of trusted historical records.

Belongs to

Libby is part of or belongs to the following places:

Currently Exists

No

Place type

Libby is classified as a Town

Associated Names

  • (Freeman's Store)

Location

Latitude: 31.71045520
Longitude: -94.45131650

Has Post Office

No

Is Incorporated

No