Lilly was on the Cherokee Trace near the shores of Lilly Creek 7½ miles from Pittsburg in southwestern Camp County. The village and the creek were both named for the first settler in the area, Noah Lilly, who patented his land in 1843. A post office was established in Lilly in May 1880 with James Musick as postmaster. The office was closed in January 1883, reopened in September 1890, and closed again in April 1891. By 1908 Lilly had apparently ceased to exist as a named community.

Continue Reading

Cecil Harper, Jr. | © TSHA

Handbook of Texas Logo

Adapted from the official Handbook of Texas, a state encyclopedia developed by Texas State Historical Association (TSHA). It is an authoritative source of trusted historical records.

Belongs to

Lilly is part of or belongs to the following places:

Currently Exists


Place type

Lilly is classified as a Town

Associated Names

  • (Matinburg)

Has Post Office


Is Incorporated