Martin's Gap

Product photo
Promotion: Nearby

Map of Hamilton County

Fairy, at the junction of Farm roads 219 and 1602 in northern Hamilton County, was first known as Martin's Gap for James Martin, an early settler who took an oxcart through the mountain gap. The town was named for Fairy Fort, the daughter of Confederate Army captain Battle Fort, when the post office was established in 1884. Fairy had a cotton gin from 1900 to about 1936 and schools, churches, and businesses serving the greater ranching and farming community. In 1947 Fairy had a post office, three churches, three businesses, and 150 people. The post office closed in 1957, and the Fairy school district was consolidated with the Hamilton schools in 1967. In 1980, 1990, and 2000 the population was thirty-one.

Continue Reading

William R. Hunt | © TSHA

Handbook of Texas Logo

Adapted from the official Handbook of Texas, a state encyclopedia developed by Texas State Historical Association (TSHA). It is an authoritative source of trusted historical records.

Belongs to

Martin's Gap is part of or belongs to the following places:

Currently Exists


Place type

Martin's Gap is classified as a Town

Associated Names

  • [Martins -]
  • (Fairy)

Has Post Office


Is Incorporated