McCoy, formerly known as McCoy School, is just west of the junction of Farm roads 54 and 3111, twelve miles southwest of Floydada in southwestern Floyd County. It developed around a school district that was established in 1908 and named for resident A. J. McCoy. By 1925 the school had 100 students, and a brick schoolhouse had been built, which served the area until the school was consolidated with the Floydada school about 1946. During the 1920s the town grew to include a grocery, a general store, and a gin, as well as Methodist and Baptist churches. McCoy in 1936 had a church, a school, and two businesses. In 1979 a grocery, a gin (begun in 1925), a farm supply store, and a grain elevator were active; by 1986 the grocery had closed. In 1980 McCoy had a population of ninety-six; in 1990 no population figures were available for the community. In 2000 the population was two.

Continue Reading

Charles G. Davis | © TSHA

Handbook of Texas Logo

Adapted from the official Handbook of Texas, a state encyclopedia developed by Texas State Historical Association (TSHA). It is an authoritative source of trusted historical records.

Belongs to

McCoy is part of or belongs to the following places:

Currently Exists


Place type

McCoy is classified as a Town


Latitude: 33.86813660
Longitude: -101.43766000

Has Post Office


Is Incorporated


Population Count, 2009