Mott is near the Angelina River between Boggy Creek and Bayou Creek in extreme southeast Angelina County. The settlement was named for J. H. Mott, owner of a gristmill, general store, and cotton gin, and was the site of a sawmill in the 1880s. Thomas L. Mott was the first postmaster when the post office was opened in 1871. A room in Mott's cabin, hewn from virgin pine timbers, once served southeastern Angelina County as a post office. In 1888 R. W. Haltom described the town as "a small trading point with a store and post office." In 1890 Mott had fifty people, a church, and a school. In 1904 it was called a "postal village" in the Gazetteer of Texas. In 1910 the population was twenty-five. No population was reported in 1912 or thereafter, though postal service continued. In 1921 the Mott post office was discontinued and mail service transferred to Turpentine, in Jasper County. Much of the area once covered by the Mott community is now the waters of Sam Rayburn Reservoir.
- ✅ Adoption Status:
- This place is available for adoption! Available for adoption!
Mott is part of or belongs to the following places:
Mott is classified as a Town
- (New Hope)
Has Post Office