New Braunfels

New Braunfels, Texas

New Braunfels, Texas

New Braunfels, Texas Photo by Justin W on Unsplash
Product photo
Promotion: Nearby

Map of Guadalupe County

Product photo
Promotion: Nearby Map of Comal County

New Braunfels, the county seat of Comal County, is at the confluence of the Guadalupe and Comal rivers and the intersection of Interstate Highway 35 and Farm Road 725, thirty miles northeast of San Antonio and forty-five miles southwest of Austin near the southeastern border of the county. It was founded on March 21, 1845, when, under the auspices of the Adelsverein, Nicolaus Zink led a German immigrant wagontrain up the Guadalupe River to the ford of the San Antonio-Nacogdoches road. They made camp at a site on Comal Creek (now Dry Comal Creek) chosen by Prince Carl of Solms-Braunfels, the first commissioner general of the Adelsverein, and promptly organized to receive later arrivals. Zink platted preliminary town and farm lots and supervised construction of a primitive stockade, the Zinkenburg, to protect the immigrants against allegedly cannibalistic Indians. Within weeks Prince Solms had laid the cornerstone for a more permanent fort and headquarters for the immigrant association, the Sophienburg (now the Sophienburg Museum ), made provision for supplying the burgeoning settlement through its first summer on the frontier, and handed leadership of the colony over to John O. Meusebach. By summer the settlers numbered between 300 and 400, and the community had been incorporated under the name of Prince Solms's estate on the Lahn River in western Germany, Braunfels. From 1846 until the 1880s a number of Hispanics and Lipan Indians moved into New Braunfels each spring during sheep-shearing season.

Taking advantage of the reliable water power afforded by Comal Springs and the community's position on the road between Austin and San Antonio, the settlers wasted little time establishing the supply and processing businesses-stores, millworks, and craft shops-that soon made New Braunfels the commercial center of a growing agricultural area. Many immigrants brought artisanal skills as well as business acumen to their new home. Within a decade of its founding New Braunfels had emerged as a manufacturing center supplying wagons, farm implements, leather goods, furniture, and clothing for pioneers settling the hills of Central Texas. The town also figured as an important market for the expanding agricultural frontier. Its markets supplied places as close as Bastrop and Victoria and as far away as New Orleans, New York, and the Nassau province of Germany. It is reported that in 1850 New Braunfels was the fourth largest town in Texas.

Continue Reading

Daniel P. Greene | © TSHA

Handbook of Texas Logo

Adapted from the official Handbook of Texas, a state encyclopedia developed by Texas State Historical Association (TSHA). It is an authoritative source of trusted historical records.

Great Texas Land Rush logo
Adoption Status:
This place has been adopted and will not be available until June 22, 2024
Adopted by:
McKenna Beseda
Dedication Message:
Life is Beautiful in New Braunfels, Be Kind to Everyone, Pick up Trash Even if it's Not Yours and Do the Right Thing Even When No One is Watching. You are Loved! Love McKenna 💙

Belongs to

New Braunfels is part of or belongs to the following places:

Currently Exists

Yes

Place type

New Braunfels is classified as a Town

Location

Latitude: 29.70238370
Longitude: -98.11495000

Has Post Office

Yes

Is Incorporated

Yes

Population Count, 2021 View more »

98,857