Oak Grove

Oak Grove is on Farm Road 1183 five miles south of Ennis in southeastern Ellis County. The first settlers in the area were John and Mary Humble, who arrived with their slaves. The community formed around a Methodist church that was constructed on land donated by C. L. Kendall. Oak Grove became the site of a series of camp meetings during the late 1800s. From 1900 to 1990 the community did not report a population of more than fifty. During the 1980s Oak Grove served as a community center for area farmers. In 1990 through 2000 it reported a population of ten.

Continue Reading

David Minor | © TSHA

Handbook of Texas Logo

Adapted from the official Handbook of Texas, a state encyclopedia developed by Texas State Historical Association (TSHA). It is an authoritative source of trusted historical records.

Belongs to

Oak Grove is part of or belongs to the following places:

Currently Exists

No

Place type

Oak Grove is classified as a Town

Location

Latitude: 32.25931360
Longitude: -96.58359940

Has Post Office

No

Is Incorporated

No