Oenaville

Product photo
Promotion: Nearby

Map of Bell County

Oenaville is at the intersection of Farm roads 438 and 3369, six miles northeast of Temple in northeastern Bell County. C. D. Johnson started the community on Big Elm Creek by opening a store on the site in the late 1860s. When the community applied for a post office in 1872, Johnson named it Oenaville, probably after Miss Oena Griffin. By 1884 the town had 150 inhabitants, three churches, two mills and gins, two saloons, a cooperative association, and a school. At that time Oenaville shipped primarily cotton. Its population rose to 200 by 1890 and remained at about that level through the 1940s. By 1949 Oenaville had declined to 150 residents, five businesses, two churches, and a school. In 1990 the community reported 120 inhabitants and no rated businesses. The population remained the same in 2000.

Continue Reading

Mark Odintz | © TSHA

Handbook of Texas Logo

Adapted from the official Handbook of Texas, a state encyclopedia developed by Texas State Historical Association (TSHA). It is an authoritative source of trusted historical records.

Belongs to

Oenaville is part of or belongs to the following places:

Currently Exists

Yes

Place type

Oenaville is classified as a Town

Associated Names

  • (Farm Town)

Location

Latitude: 31.12767850
Longitude: -97.22833320

Has Post Office

No

Is Incorporated

No

Population Count, 2009

108