Owens is on Farm Road 40 twenty-eight miles east of Lubbock in Crosby County. It was named for Tom B. Owens, who built a four-room brick school on the site in 1924. In 1925 F. E. Watkins built a store, which remained in operation for twenty years. Also in 1925 C. F. Dean built the first gin in the community. It was one of the largest cotton gins in Crosby County and burned during a 1948 sandstorm but was later rebuilt. Owens reported a population of seventy-five in 1980 and 1990. At that time the community's school-aged children attended school at Ralls. By 2000 the population was forty.
- ✅ Adoption Status:
- This place is available for adoption! Available for adoption!
Owens is part of or belongs to the following places:
Owens is classified as a Town
Has Post Office
Owens by the Numbers
This is some placeholder text that we should either remove or replace with a brief summary about this particular metric. For example, "We update population counts once per year..."