Petteway is located three miles east of Twin Oaks Reservoir on Farm Road 2293 in north central Robertson County. The town developed in the last quarter of the nineteenth century as settlers moved to the prairies. The village was named for Mike Petteway, who operated the general store. By 1900 the community had three churches, two schools, three stores, a cotton gin, and a gristmill. The gin was owned by Stanley Barkowiak. A post office operated from 1887 until the mid 1930s. After World War II the production of cotton diminished, and the area turned to ranching. Subsequently, Aluminum Company of America purchased much of the land to mine coal. The population remained constant at 150 from 1915 through 1967, and in 1990 through 2000 it was twenty-five.

Continue Reading

James L. Hailey | © TSHA

Handbook of Texas Logo

Adapted from the official Handbook of Texas, a state encyclopedia developed by Texas State Historical Association (TSHA). It is an authoritative source of trusted historical records.

Belongs to

Petteway is part of or belongs to the following places:

Currently Exists


Place type

Petteway is classified as a Town


Latitude: 31.18462570
Longitude: -96.53802790

Has Post Office


Is Incorporated


Population Count, 2009