Pleak

Pleak is on State Highway 36 eight miles south of Richmond in south central Fort Bend County. The community probably developed in the 1920s as a result of activity in the nearby Pleak oilfield. The Pleak school district served some 150 pupils in 1926, and in 1940 the community consisted of a school, three businesses, and scattered dwellings. The Wilbur Krenek Cotton Gin was built in 1934 and was still being run by the Krenek family in the early 1990s. Pleak incorporated as the Village of Pleak in 1980, when it had about 365 residents; it reported a population of 746 in 1992. The population was 947 in 2000.

Continue Reading

Mark Odintz | © TSHA

Handbook of Texas Logo

Adapted from the official Handbook of Texas, a state encyclopedia developed by Texas State Historical Association (TSHA). It is an authoritative source of trusted historical records.

Belongs to

Pleak is part of or belongs to the following places:

Currently Exists

Yes

Place type

Pleak is classified as a Town

Location

Latitude: 29.48505250
Longitude: -95.80981600

Has Post Office

No

Is Incorporated

Yes

Population Count, 2021 View more »

1,031