Polly, also known as the J. P. Rodriguez Settlement, is a small rural community located approximately six miles northeast of Bandera and two miles north of State Highway 16 in eastern Bandera County. In 1858 noted U. S. Army scout and Tejano frontiersman, José Policarpio “Polly” Rodriguez, was on assignment to recover escaped army camels from nearby Camp Verde. During this mission, he discovered the pristine Privilege Creek valley—land flush with game, running creeks, and abundant oak, cedar, and cypress trees. As a result, he immediately purchased 360 acres from John James. Thus, Rodriguez became the first settler in this area and established his home and ranch there. Ultimately, he acquired several thousand acres that he offered to would-be settlers. The nearby communities of Bandera, Center Point, and Pipe Creek had also just begun.
Rodriguez began recruiting Tejano families from San Antonio and south along the Medina River, where he had lived on his father’s ranch. Leading Tejano families on “La Medina” were the Herrera, Losoya, Martinez, Navarro, Perez, Ruiz, and Vargas families. Third generation sons and daughters sought new ranching opportunities along the Texas Hill Country frontier, and the idea of a homesteading grant was very attractive.
- ✅ Adoption Status:
- This place is available for adoption! Available for adoption!
Polly is part of or belongs to the following places:
Polly is classified as a Town
- (J. P. Rodriguez Settlement)
Has Post Office